Text by Nick Read. Available by post £1.50
Two great landmarks.
This photo depicts the windmill, from which the name Windmill Hill is taken from, with Saint Mary Magdalene Church in the background. The photo, taken from an old glass plate negative, was taken in approximately 1901.
“The mill had not been used since 1887 and had been dismantled in 1901 when it lost two of its sails. It was finally demolished in September 1904 and a large house was built on the site.”
History of Enfield, vol 2, by David Pam p.83
This photo is reproduced by kind permission of The Enfield Society www.enfieldsociety.org.uk.
The old windmill, Windmill Hill, Enfield